Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Little Space, Lots of Time


Today's photo of choice is of my scrapbooking space. This is my area...and I must tell you, it is a restricted area....highly off limits to anyone of the opposite gender or to creatures under 5 foot tall. That means that my dear husband and my lovely children aren't allowed. Don't get me wrong, they are expected to stand on the other side of my table and ooh and awe over my "mad" creation when it reaches completion. Even though the space is small, I spend lots of time in it.

I have began teaching my kids how to scrapbook, but I am somewhat reserved in putting my all into it for them, I fear that they too will end up like me. When I am not in my space, I can be caught gandering about what I will be doing when I get back there. If by some rare coincidence I hit a creative block, I turn around to the computer and begin looking at other peoples work, or writitng. I have found that writing is pretty awesome. Most especially when it is free flowing. Sometimes it doesn't always make sense, and sometimes I have to rearrange the order of my toughts. But the amazing thing to me is that I have them recorded and if I scrapbook from my writing and use pictures to back it up, WOW! I end up with much more powerful layouts.

Speaking about scrapbooking though, I am really peeved by someone who pretends to show interest in it. You know the type I am talking about. They are the ones that will be flipping through the pages in your albums while holding a conversation with you and never actually looking at the page before they flip it. Now I have been around long enough to know that not everyone enjoys scrapbooking the way I do. Can I help it if they are mentally challenged in that way. They should come with some kind of warning label. One that says something like "I'm not interested!" Then I would know not to waste my time sharing my albums with them.

Really, I think the reason I scrapbook is for that dreadful day that the nest is empty. I want something tangible to put my hands on and look at that will keep the memories fresh and alive. Sure, its bound to bring tears to my eyes, looking back on days gone by, but I think it will keep me counting my blessings for things past, present, and future. One of my greatest fears is losing my memory. I truly believe, memories make us who we are. What we learn from them, guide us like the a compass and a map. Memories prepare us for what lies ahead.

No comments: