Saturday, June 28, 2014

NERD - Never Ending Radical Diva


One day in Jr. High, I remember standing in the line in the cafeteria when some kid called me a nerd. It was meant to be an insult, but I was so naïve, I thought it meant I was smart. I stood there glad that someone else had realized I was intelligent. I was born geeky. I had crooked teeth and big glasses. I liked books, not boys! I was clumsy, dorky, and artistic; not popular, poised, or athletic! I had a quirkiness about me that made others shy away from being my friend. I didn’t fit the mold of the perfect little girl! I loved to learn. I embraced homework as a challenge to prove to others just how smart I was (little did I know, they could actually care less, until they needed answers for their homework). As an adult, I still have a love for learning. I spend countless hours reading online, watching how to videos, and making lists. My favorite aisle in the department store is the office supplies. I’m still as much a nerd today as I was in Jr High. I’ve simply learned who I can share it with and who will judge me for it. I choose to invest my time in relationships that appreciate my nerdiness, and I dial it down in those situations where I have to tolerate those that just don’t get it. Being a nerd is all about being who you are! To me, being a nerd means I’m a Never Ending Radical Diva!

No comments: