Monday, January 28, 2008

Hand-picked for the Master's bouquet!


This is a photo of my niece that passed today. She is 2 in the photo, but her features haven't changed since. She went home to be with the Lord. It is bittersweet. I am sad that I won't see her anymore, and I can only imagine what her mother must be feeling at this time of great loss, but I take comfort in knowing that she is in heaven, frolicking like little girls do as she crawls up in God's lap and says "It's beautiful here, I am so glad to be here." I picture here asking God to take away mommy's sadness.

At about 3 weeks old, she was diagnosed with myoclonicendocephalopothy, basically a seziure disorder. The doctors told us that she would not live beyond 2 years and that she would always be in a vegetative state. We have been blessed with her for 4 1/2 years in all.

After her diagnosis, I wrote a poem that I would read when this day came. Even though she was disabled, and we knew this day would come, you just can't prepare yourself for what you have to face.

The poem reads: A MEETING WAS HELD QUITE FAR FROM EARTH: IT'S TIME AGAIN FOR ANOTHER BIRTH. SAID THE ANGEL TO THE LORD ABOVE; A SPECIAL CHILD NEEDS MUCH LOVE, HER PROGRESS MAY BE VERY SLOW; ACCOMLISHMENTS SHE MAY NOT EVER SHOW. SHE'LL REQUIRE EXTRA CARE FROM ALL THE FOLKS SHE'LL MEET DOWN THERE. SHE MAY NOT RUN OR LAUGH OR PLAY; HER THOUGHTS MIGHT SEEM QUITE FAR AWAY. IN MANY WAYS SHE WON'T ADAPT AND SHE'LL ME KNOWN AS HANDICAPPED. SO LET'S BE CAREFUL WHERE SHE'S SENT FOR WE WANT HER LIFE TO BE CONTENT. PLEASE LORD, FIND THE FAMILY WHO WILL DO THIS SPECIAL JOB FOR YOU. THEY MAY NOT REALIZE RIGHT AWAY; THE LEADING ROLE THEY ARE ASKED TO PLAY. BUT WITH THIS CHILD SENT FROM ABOVE, COMES STRONGER FAITH AND RICHER LOVE. AND SOON THEY'LL KNOW THE PRIVILEDGE GIVEN IN CARING FOR THEIR GIFT FROM HEAVEN. FOR THIER PRECIOUS CHARGE SO MEEK AND MILD IS HEAVENS OWN......VERY SPECIAL CHILD

1 comment:

Dolores said...

OMG girl I am in tears, I knew of your loss and left a message on Tally board. But your poem has hit home for me. You see I have a son who has Downs Syndrome, and I have always felt that he was a Blessing from God. May God continue to bring healing for your family.