Saturday, August 11, 2007

They wrapped me in foil.


I was so excited to obtain these photos from mom. She gave me the negatives and I was able to have prints made from them. It is amazing to be able to look back at these pictures of my own infancy and see into a time that I can't even recall. I have always heard that a picture is worth a thousand words. Now I can see why. These pictures bring back memories of my own children. I have seen the same expressions on my babies faces before.
These photographs reveal to me something else as well. I can see my parents as a happy couple. Unfortunately, I can't remember my parents that way. What I do remember is a lot of fussing and arguing, and often physical altercations. It is pleasing to know that they were very much in love once upon a time.
Looking back over these pictures reminds me a story that my great-grandmother shared with me a couple of times before she passed away. I never got tired of her telling me how she saved my life when I was born. She would say to me, "Gina, you know when your moma was just about to have you she called me because I was the only one home. I rushed right over, and when I got there I realized that we didn't have time to wait on no Dr. to get there. Your moma was crying and fussing and I held you up and asked her, 'what are you crying for?' I have the baby right here. " She would go on to say that the first ambulance got lost, the second ambulance ran off in the ditch and I was born before the third ambulance showed up. I was born at home. Granny wrapped me in a blanket and then aluminum foil to keep me warm and the three of us waited for the third ambulance. Mom once showed me the scissors that were used to cut my umbilical cord. Apparently the paramedics dropped them on the floor while they were there and mom found them when returned home after having gone to the hospital. I wish that I could still hear granny tell me that story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome story. I so miss my grandma. It's great that you have that story about her and you to remember.