Monday, October 12, 2009

In the face of adversity


Yesterday, I attended my sister's baby shower. I got to visit with my beautiful nephews, both under a year old. I'll be taking pictures of them together soon. My newest nephew was born at 8lbs 4 ozs. I feel so blessed. My sister was diagnosed with Leukemia about 2 weeks before she learned she was pregnant with him. I know it's a miracle that he was born by all appearances 'healthy'. He will have to undergo some testing to make sure there wasn't any lasting side effects from the chemo that she took while she was pregnant. I am inspired by my sister's strength throughtout this whole trial. It amazes me that she can be faced with so much, and still keep a happy spirit about her. I know some days are harder than others, but she never complains. She is so kind, sometimes too kind, to the point that others take advantage of her. With all of the uncertainty in her life, I began to encourage her to scrapbook. I felt, and still do, that she should create her legacy, collect her thoughts and ideas, her dreams and aspirations, and her prayers and feelings, and compile them for her children in case the time comes that she won't be able to be there with them first hand. She could leave this gift and there would never be any doubt as to how much she loves her boys.

No comments: